The bright side of all these heartbreaking stories of sexual assault coming out lately: It seems like many of them are finally being taken seriously. Just three months after former Dream singer Melissa Schuman came forward and accused Nick Carter of raping her in 2002, the Backstreet Boys singer is under investigation for sexual misconduct, according to reports.
In November, Melissa took to her blog to share what she says happened back in the early aughts publicly for the first time. In the post, she wrote that when she and her friend went to Nick’s apartment for what she thought was a casual hangout and he allegedly proceeded to rape her. She said that although she thought about pressing charges at the time, she was discouraged by her rep because Nick had “the most powerful litigator in the country.” Melissa was 18 and a virgin when she says the incident occured. Nick was 22.
Months ago, Melissa wrote:
I felt scared and trapped. He was visually and clearly growing very angry and impatient with me. I couldn’t leave. It was evident to me, that i couldn’t leave. He was stronger and much bigger than me, and there was no way I would be able to open that door or have anyone help me. My friend couldn’t help me, I didn’t even know where she was. So when he placed my hand on his penis my thought was the only way to get out was to get him to finish what he had started. That’s where I saw myself, my reflection, watching myself do something that I was sicken by. Watching myself be assaulted, forced to engage in an act against my will.
And then, on Wednesday, Melissa offered an update: she tweeted that she had decided to file a police report against Nick, setting the investigation into motion.
— MelissaSchuman (@MelissaSchuman) February 7, 2018
According to USA Today, the Santa Monica Police Department confirmed that a police report has been filed against Nick, and that an investigation has “just begun.” So far, no other details are yet available.
“A victim did come forward yesterday to report allegations of sexual misconduct involving Mr. Carter that occurred in 2003,” the department’s Public Information Officer, Lt. Saul Rodriguez, said. “We’re going to start looking into the matter.”
“I am shocked and saddened by Ms. Schuman’s accusations,” Nick said in a statement he released to People, immediately following Melissa’s November accusations. “Melissa never expressed to me while we were together or at any time since that anything we did was not consensual. We went on to record a song and perform together, and I was always respectful and supportive of Melissa both personally and professionally. This is the first that I am hearing about these accusations, nearly two decades later. It is contrary to my nature and everything I hold dear to intentionally cause someone discomfort or harm.”
So far, Nick has yet to make another statement about the investigation. However, Nick’s wife, Lauren Kitt seemed to respond to this new revelation on Twitter after the news broke, writing:
Can someone send me an actual f*ck to give, cause I have zero. #staythirstymyfriends
— Lauren Kitt Carter (@Lauren_Kitt) February 8, 2018
It must be really difficult to hear such serious allegations circulate involving someone you love so dearly, but that does not seem like the most appropriate or sensitive response one could have during the Time’s Up movement.